Posted November 20, 2015 in Uncategorized
There are a number of ways to combat our aging bodies. As we age, fat deposits itself in storage locations throughout the body, leaving many of us with a less than desirable body shape. Many men and women are turning to body contouring to achieve their body goals.
Body contouring encompasses a number of different body sculpting techniques and surgeries used by cosmetic surgeons to reshape almost any area of the body. Surgical body contouring following major weight loss removes excess sagging fat and skin while improving the shape of the underlying support tissue. The result is a more normal appearance with smoother contours.
Diet and exercise leading to dramatic weight loss have many benefits. But after losing any substantial amount of weight or after weight reduction surgery, the skin tissues often lack the elasticity to conform to the reduced body size.
At Coastal Plastic Surgeons, our surgeons employ a variety of body sculpting techniques to help our patients achieve lean and toned figures.
What Procedures Are Included in Body Contouring?
- Breast lift: sagging, flattened breasts
- Tummy tuck: apron of excess skin hanging over the abdomen
- Lower body lifts: sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin and outer thighs
- Medial thigh lift: sagging of the inner, outer and mid thigh
- Arm lift: sagging of the upper arms
Who are good body contouring candidates?
In general, good body contouring candidates are:
- Adults whose weight loss has stabilized and are within a few pounds of their idea weight
- Healthy individuals without medical conditions that could impair healing or could increase risk of surgery
- You may not be a good candidate for surgery if you have serious health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, a bleeding disorder, heart disease or depression.
- Individuals with a positive outlook and have realistic goals
- Individuals that are committed to leading a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and fitness
- If you smoke or drink too much alcohol, you may not be a good candidate for surgical body contouring procedures
How Much Time Should Be Allowed for Recovery and Healing?
For many patients, four to six weeks is the average recovery period. Typically, body-contouring procedures require at least three months for the overall cosmetic results to be fully apparent. Dressings and bandages will be applied to your incisions following the procedure.
- This allows enough time for all residual swelling and bruising to resolve and for soft tissue to soften.
- You will be given specific instructions on how to care for surgical sites and specific concerns to look for
- Scars typically require 12 months to go through the healing process, they are often apparent during this period
- To minimize the risk of developing blood clots in the legs, you will need to be up and walking as soon as possible
- You may need help. It’s a good idea to arrange for someone to stay with you for the first several days following your surgery
When Will I See Results?
The results of body contouring surgery following aggressive weight loss are visible almost immediately; however, it can take up to one year to see the final results.
- Results of body contouring surgeries are generally long lasting, provided you maintain a healthy and active lifestyle
- Following your surgeon’s instructions is critical to the success of your surgeries
What Can I Expect During My Body Contouring Consultation?
The body contouring consultation serves two main purposes. It allows the patient to meet the surgeon and express their goals for the body contouring procedure. It also allows the patient to understand the process of staging procedures.
- The surgeon will evaluate the patient’s overall medical health and assess any potential coexisting medical conditions that may affect the procedures desired
- The surgeon will asses the patient’s concerns and goals to create a plan
- Often, patients will require multiple procedures, which are usually staged
- Stages and timing can be planned our and reviewed during the consultation
How Does One Prepare for Body Contouring Surgery?
Your surgeon may ask you to:
- Get a lab test
- Get cleared by your primary care physician
- Take certain medications or adjust your medications
- Stop smoking well in advance of surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
- If your procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home and stay with you for several days
- Make sure you can get enough time off work for your recovery. It could take four to six weeks depending on the procedures
- Establish a reliable support network to help during your recovery
Men and women that are interested in a fast and efficient way to get red of excess skin or unsightly rolls are encouraged to set up a consultation with us at Coastal Plastic Surgeons. Coastal Plastic Surgeons is highly regarded as one of the premier plastic surgery practices in Southern California and nationally.
We have four convenient areas serving the greater San Diego region. We have offices located in Del Mar, Murrieta, Mesa and Vista in the North County region of San Diego. Call us at (858) 365-3558.